What are your favorite tomatoes? Some tomatoes are sweeter than others. A good example of sweet tomatoes is the cherry type.
So, what are cherry tomatoes? Cherry tomatoes are small and rounded tomatoes that are ideal for snacking or cooking. The cherry tomato variety is named after its shape. They are small and rounded like a cherry.
Cherry tomatoes are now a pretty popular snack. Their origin can be traced back to Mexico, the birthplace of all tomatoes.
What are cherry tomatoes?
Cherry tomatoes are a small variety of tomatoes, named for their rounded shape resembling a cherry. Most cherry tomato sizes range from smaller to a little large than a cherry. But some can also be twice a cherry in size.
They are usually red in color but you can also find some in orange, yellow, green, and almost black.
Unlike other tomato varieties, cherry tomatoes are full of juice and have very thin skin. When eaten raw, they tend to pop in your mouth due to the thin skin and a lot of juice.
Cherry tomatoes are highly preferred by chefs because of their sweet taste and lots of juice. Since they are highly preferred, cherry tomatoes can be costly at the local grocery store.
Since tomatoes can be costly, most consumers prefer to grow them at home. Most cherry tomatoes are indeterminate and can flourish at home like weeds when grown under the right conditions. There are some determinate varieties that grow to a fixed mature size.
Generally, most cherry tomatoes are the size of a thumb tip and round to oblong in shape. Due to their small sizes, cherry tomatoes can be grown at home or in greenhouses. If you are interested in growing this type of tomato at home, some sites like Gardening Know How, Backyard Gardeners Network did a great job on this topic that you might want to check out.
What do cherry tomatoes taste like?
The taste of cherry tomatoes is not that different from other tomatoes. However, their taste is a lot more concentrated flavor than other tomatoes.
Cherry tomatoes feature a pretty thin skin with a snappy feel. The tomatoes are bright and sweet with a lot of juice at the center. Some cherry tomato varieties are sweeter while others feature a mild taste.
When cooked, cherry tomatoes have a deep flavor. The taste feels more like a tomato paste when cooked.
How to select cherry tomatoes?
Trying to buy the best quality cherry tomatoes? Good quality tomatoes are smooth-skinned, firm, and at least pink in color.
Cherry tomatoes that are partially green can ripen when stored at room temperature. When choosing cherry tomatoes, avoid the ones with soft skin. The skin should also not be too wrinkled or broken.
You can also choose tomatoes with a green blush for future use. Such tomatoes can ripen after a few days. But make sure you avoid tomatoes with brown or blotchy greens.
Common uses of cherry tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes are very popular and loved all over the world. This is because they are juicer and taste sweeter.
Let’s see some of the common uses of cherry tomatoes.
- Salad Toppings: Cherry tomatoes can be used as a colorful and juicy addition to salads, adding a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Salsa Ingredient: The tomatoes can also be chopped up and combined with other ingredients like onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice to make a fresh and healthy salsa.
- Pasta Sauce: Cherry tomatoes can be roasted in the oven with olive oil and other seasonings, then pureed to create a smooth and flavorful pasta sauce.
- Roasting and Grilling: They can also be roasted in the oven or grilled for a few minutes, which intensifies their flavor and makes them a great side dish for meats or as a topping for bruschetta.
- Snack or Appetizer: You can also serve cherry tomatoes as a simple and healthy snack or appetizer, either on their own or paired with dips like hummus or guacamole.
- Pizza Topping: The tomatoes can also be sliced and added to pizzas as a topping, along with other ingredients like cheese, herbs, and meats.
- Sandwich Filling: Cherry tomatoes can be sliced and added to sandwiches to add a juicy and flavorful element, especially when combined with ingredients like avocado, cheese, or meats.
- Caprese Salad: You can also use them to make a classic Caprese salad, which is typically made with sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Grilled Skewers: Cherry tomatoes can be threaded onto skewers with other ingredients like meats, vegetables, or cheese and grilled for a delicious and easy summer meal.
- Garnish for Cocktails or Drinks: The tomatoes can be used as a colorful and tasty garnish for cocktails or drinks, adding a sweet and tangy flavor.
How to store cherry tomatoes?
Unlike most tomato varieties, cherry tomatoes are highly susceptible to cold. Storing in cold temperatures will impede the ripening process.
Consider spring cherry tomatoes at room temperature and away from direct sunlight exposure. Depending on how ripe they are, cherry tomatoes can stay up to a week.
When extremely ripe, stash them in the fridge to prevent them from ripening more. When ready to use them, bring them to room temperature for a while before using them.